Last week in Republic, MO I did training on Spaces & Places. We reflected on classroom essentials. We mapped out our classrooms and even set up two rooms as a group.
Here are some of the things K-5 teachers there said they would give up this year….
- glitter! (much of it in the cabinet was dried up)
- big birthday cake display on the wall (takes up too much space)
- twirly stuff hanging from the ceiling (that distracts some students)
- my big “Hoppy Helpers” frog chart (takes up more space than needed)
- the 6 ft. tall chart with addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division symbols on it (it serves no purpose except to cover up a wall)
- my teacher desk (I just pile stuff on it)
One teacher told me, “I slept so soundly last night knowing that I don’t have to spend all that time decorating my walls before school begins!”
What will you give up this year, so you can leave space for children in your classroom?