Here’s another poem on birds from The Robin Makes a Laughing Sound: A Birder’s Journal: You might include a children’s field guide to birds along with the poem as you share it with your students. Add a pair of binoculars and an observation journal, and you have the start of an observation station near a window by a tree. Make an “I Can” list with your kids. It might say things like:
- read the poem with fluency
- learn about the birds in the poem
- use binoculars to find and identify other birds
- write about my observations in the journal
- create pages for my own field guide to birds
Robins come in springtime.
In summer they nest here.
Warblers are just passing through.
Cardinals stay all year.
Juncos come in winter,
thrushes in the fall.
Some birds never come here.
I don’t see them at all.