I worked with such a great group of teachers last week! We studied the power of small groups. If we can remember why we teach in small groups, it’s easier to carve out time for this important part of the day.
Teachers in 4th-6th grade brainstormed these as their top reasons for using small groups:
1. Increases comfort level for students
2. Immediate feedback can be provided to students
3. Students can’t hide
4. Allows the needs of groups of students to be targeted
5. Helps teachers observe student learning more carefully
6. Provides opportunity to individualize instruction
7. Instruction can be more easily differentiated
8. Allows teachers to match reading levels and interest levels to students
What are some of the reasons you use small groups? Leave your ideas in the comments section!