While working with schools in Indiana, we brainstormed a list of some good websites to use at computer stations for literacy. Here are a few to get you started. Please add to the list!
- www.freerice.com (good for upper grades vocabulary, grammar, and world geography- 10 grains of rice are donated to fight world hunger for each correct answer)
- www.spaghettibookclub.org(book reviews for and by children)
- www.spellingcity.com(spelling games can be generated using your own words)
- www.newton.k12.in.us (elementary computer lab- choose grade level)
- www.kizclub.org(good for drama station)
- http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/digitalphotography/PhotoStory/default.mspx(free download of Photo Story 3 where kids can write a story and add photos, music, etc. to tell it)
- www.audacity.com (free download for having kids record themselves reading at the computer- good for fluency)